To Contribute: send text, digital fotos, artwork and links to the Editor at jim @transfigured.com.
Welcome and come back often!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

On Greeting a New Day

from Fr. Don Talafous, OSB, Chaplain Emeritus at Saint John's. Collegeville:

Speaking of God in human terms is a necessity for us and it often yields helpful insights. In the Exodus story the author says that as God was about to lead the Jews out of slavery it was "a night of vigil for the Lord" (Exodus 12:42). We have a picture of the Lord staying awake the whole night, alert for any danger to the Israelites. In turn, the writer says, on the anniversary of this day the people "must keep a vigil for the Lord throughout their generations" (v. 42).

Taking this more broadly we hear an echo of a frequent message of Scripture; be awake, alert, vigilant against evil and ready to take opportunities for good. Be as awake for good as we so often are for our gain. The same refrain appears in the Psalms, especially movingly in Psalm (56)57: "My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready. I will sing, I will sing your praise. Awake, my soul; awake, lyre and harp, I will awake the dawn." What a refreshing and inspiring way to face each day, each opportunity! I am ready, Lord, to take advantage of all the day brings to praise you and serve others. I will do it joyfully, with a song on my lips. Not only am I ready, I am so ready that I am up and willing to move even before the dawn breaks. That might all be beyond us at the moment but it offers a refreshing and generous goal at which to aim. "My heart is ready, O God; I will awake the dawn."

No comments:

Post a Comment